In 1992, the Society established CASCATrust as a charitable trust for the advancement of education and research in astronomy. Supported by donations from its members, this trust funds or helps to fund a number of activities and awards that answer its objectives:
- assisting educational institutions in Canada to develop and maintain courses in astronomy;
- offering scholarships and bursaries to individuals who meet qualifying criteria to be established by the Trust, for the purpose of pursuing studies or performing research at a recognized Canadian educational institution;
- presenting lectures, conducting seminars and publishing materials with a view to instructing the public in astronomy;
- locating, preserving and making available to the public materials and information to assist study of the history of astronomy in Canada;
- presenting exhibits, lectures and demonstrations at museums and planetariums with a view to instructing the public in astronomy.
In recent years, the CASCATrust has supported the Hogg and Plaskett awards and student travel to the AGMs. A principal activity of CASCATrust for 2008/2009 was the support of activities related to the International Year of Astronomy.
CASCATrust’s receipts are valid for income tax purposes. CASCATrust is registered with Revenue Canada and Revenue Quebec. Your donation can be made with e-transfer to casca at casca.ca, or by cheque payable to Canadian Astronomical Society, 100 Viaduct Ave W, Victoria BC, V9E 1J3, Canada.