From/de Michael Balogh (CATAC Chair)
(Cassiopeia – Spring/printemps 2017)
In early 2017, the CASCA/ACURA TMT Advisory Committee (CATAC) was formed to provide advice and a forum for communication regarding the TMT project. Specifically, the ACURA/CASCA mandate to the committee is to:
- Provide advice to CASCA and ACURA on the current state of the TMT project.
- Act as a conduit for consulting with and informing the Canadian Astronomical community about the state of the TMT project;
- Advocate and advance Canadian participation in the TMT project;
- Encourage Canadian scientific participation and leadership in the TMT;
- Advise on strategic development of technology for the TMT in Canadian Industry;
- Provide technical assistance to the 2020 (and subsequent) CASCA Long-range Plan Committees.
The full terms of reference can be found on the CATAC website.
The committee is in complete agreement with earlier advice that TMT will be most competitive and desirable if it is constructed on Maunakea as planned. Every effort should be made to make this happen. However, should this prove impossible, the TIO Board has decided that TMT would move to an alternative site, at Observatorio Roque de los Muchachos (ORM, La Palma). This decision is currently expected in October of 2017. The immediate and urgent objective of CATAC is to obtain a deep understanding of the implications, should TMT need to relocate to ORM. To this end, we have been holding weekly meetings via telecon or webex, many of which are open to CASCA members. The schedule of meetings is given on our website, and meetings open to the public are announced on the CASCA email exploder. Any CASCA member wishing to attend these meetings should send email to Luc Simard (Luc.Simard@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca) to be added to the list. Minutes and other documentation are also made available on the CATAC website.
One of CATAC’s most important roles is to keep the community informed as the project progresses, and to ensure that your voice is heard. We are consulting widely and inviting experts to our meetings to advise on technical issues. As well as attending meetings, you are encouraged to contact the Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
CATAC is using information from these meetings to prepare a report that will be delivered to CASCA and ACURA. This report will consist of a factual narrative, with Findings and Recommendations. We will present a draft of this report at the CASCA meeting in Edmonton, May 30-June 1. Together with the LRPIC we are planning an extended discussion session which will, among other things, consider the implications of these recommendations in the broader context. We look forward to working with and for you to secure a bright future for the Canadian astronomical community.
- Michael Balogh (University of Waterloo) Chair
- Sarah Gallagher (Western University), Vice-Chair
- Stefi Baum (University of Manitoba)
- Chris Wilson (McMaster University)
- Ray Carlberg (University of Toronto)
- David Lafrenière (Université de Montréal)
- Harvey Richer (UBC)
- Greg Fahlman (General Manager of NRC-HAA, non-voting, ex-officio)
- Don Brooks (Executive Director of ACURA, non-voting, ex-officio)
- Bob Abraham (CASCA President, non-voting, ex-officio)
- Doug Welch, (Science Governor for Canada on TIO Governing Board, non-voting, ex-officio)
- Tim Davidge (NRC, observer)
- Luc Simard (NRC, observer)