The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) wishes to convey certain details to future users of Canadian observation programs (https://asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/satellites/jwst/programs.asp) with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).
• The CSA intends to fund the ERS and Cycle 1 projects of the JWST mission.
• As a result of the CSA’s contribution to the mission, Canadian astronomers should receive at least five percent of available open observation time in addition to the 450 hours of Guaranteed Observation Time (GTO) to the Canadian science team of JWST.
• The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) recently published a call for proposals for JWST Cycle 1 (see https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-opportunities-and-policies/jwst-call-for-proposals-for-cycle-1)
• Reminder: The deadline to submit a proposal to STScI for Cycle 1 is November 24, 2020.
• Canadian astronomers are encouraged to submit proposals in response to this open invitation to the international astronomical community. A total budget of approximately $ 780,000 (in Canadian dollars) will be allocated to fund successful Canadian astronomers in the ERS and Cycle 1 competitions.
• Selected proposals from Canadian Principal Investigators (PCs), Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PCs) and Co-Investigators (Co-Cs) will be eligible for funding. Priority will be given to PI, Co-PI and Co-I General Observer (GO) programs over Archival Research (AR) programs in the distribution of funds.
• Announcement of NASA-selected proposals will take place in spring 2021. Successful applicants will be invited to submit a grant application to the CSA for their project.
• Grant applications will be evaluated according to the evaluation criteria of the research component of the CSA grants and contributions program (https://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/funding-programs/grants-and-contributions-snapshot.asp).