** Third announcement – Registration and abstraction submission deadline JULY 15th, Preliminary Program available **
The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), scheduled for launch in October 2018, will be one of the great observatories of the next decade. Its suite of four instruments will provide imaging, spectroscopic and coronagraphic capabilities over the 0.6 to 28.5 micron wavelength range and will offer an unprecedented combination of sensitivity and spatial resolution to study targets ranging from our Solar System to the most distant galaxies. With JWST’s launch date approaching rapidly and a first call for proposals scheduled for the end of 2017, it is important to give the astronomical community opportunities to present, highlight and discuss scientific programs that will be made possible by JWST. In this context, we are organizing the scientific conference “Exploring the Universe with JWST – II”, which will take place during the week of the 24th to the 28th of October 2016 at the Université de Montréal (Canada). The conference will cover a broad range of scientific topics org
anized around the main JWST science themes:
• The end of the « dark ages »: first light and reionisation.
• The assembly of galaxies.
• The formation and evolution of stars and planets.
• Planetary systems and the origins of life (exoplanets)
• Our Solar System.
This conference is in the same spirit as the one held in the Netherlands at ESTEC (ESA headquarters) in October 2015. The attendance will be limited to approximately 250 persons.
Preliminary program can be found here: http://craq-astro.ca/jwst2016/images/Agenda_JWST_July_2016_v4.png
Registration and payment: http://craq-astro.ca/jwst2016/reg_procedure.php
Abstract soumission: http://craq-astro.ca/jwst2016/submitabstract_en.php – Submission deadline 15 July
• Alyson Brooks (Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, USA)
• David Charbonneau (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, USA)
• Julianne Dalcanton (University of Washington)
• Richard Ellis (University College London, UK)
• Jonathan Gardner (NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, USA)
• Jason Kalirai (STScI)
• Dave Jewitt (University of California, Los Angeles, USA)
• Ralph Pudritz (McMaster University / Origins Institute, Canada)
• Sherry Suyu (Academia Sinica, Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Taiwan)
Important dates & deadlines
• 15 May: 2nd announcement (invited speakers chosen, program sessions identified, abstract submission form open, payment form);
• 15 July: registration deadline and abstract submission deadline;
• 15 August: release of the program.
• Student: $275 CAN ($239 CA + Tax) / ~$210 US (Tax included) / ~€187 (Tax included)
• General: $476 CAN ($414 CAN + Tax) / ~$370 US (Tax included) / ~€324 (Tax included)
• Banquet: $90 CAN ($78,50 CAN + Tax) / ~$70 US (Tax included) / ~€61(Tax included)
Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC)
• René Doyon (U. de Montréal/iREx; co-chair)
• Chris Willott (NRC-Herzberg ; co-chair)
• Michael Balogh (U. of Waterloo)
• Beth Biller (U. of Edinburgh/ROE)
• Peter Behroozi (UC Berkeley)
• Isobel Hook (U. of Lancaster)
• JJ Kavelaars (NRC-Herzberg)
• Robert Kennicutt (Cambridge, IoA)
• Charles Lada (CfA)
• Laura Pentericci (INAF)
• Marshall Perrin (STScI)
• Allison Sills (McMaster)
• Tommaso Treu (UCLA)
Local Organizing Committee (LOC) – email@example.com
• Loïc Albert (UdeM/iREx)
• Étienne Artigau (UdeM/iREx)
• Nick Cowan (McGill/iREx)
• Olivier Hernandez (UdeM/iREx)
• François-René Lachapelle (UdeM/iREx)
• David Lafrenière (UdeM/iREx)
• Marie-Eve Naud (UdeM/iREx)
• Jason Rowe (UdeM/iREx)
JWST is a joint mission between NASA, ESA and CSA.