By/par James di Francesco
(Cassiopeia – Winter/hivers 2017)
Next year, 2018, will mark the 100th anniversary of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. Several celebratory events are being planned to commemorate this historic event. One planned event, the DAO100 Project, will greatly benefit from your contribution. Thank you to all those who have very kindly sent us contributions already!
We wish to celebrate the 100th anniversary by collecting vivid accounts of life at the observatory from its current and former staff, postdocs, students, and visitors over the past several decades. We are looking for your best stories here and invite you to kindly contribute to this ambitious enterprise. Highlights of the collected material will be shared as part of other events planned for the 100th anniversary, and woven into an article to be published in the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.
To stimulate ideas about your contribution, please consider the following about your DAO experiences:
- When were you at DAO and what role did you play while here?
- What was the most memorable interaction you had with others at DAO?
- What was your favourite project?
- What contribution (e.g., scientific discovery, instrumentation development, computational project, technical or administrative activity) from your time at DAO do you remember most fondly?
- What was the funniest thing that happened to you during your time here?
- Was there anything special about DAO you’d like to impart?
- What significance did DAO play in your life?
Of course, these are just suggestions, and anyone is free to submit any anecdote or particularly meaningful pictures they’d like to share. All contributions will be properly credited to the submitters. (Some light editing may be required, but we will strive to preserve the spirit of all comments and consult with you where necessary to ensure clarity.)
Submissions of any length are welcome but we ask that you focus your recollections to avoid an intended submission from becoming too ambitious to complete. Please send any and all submissions to DomAstObs100@gmail.com by 7 January 2018. Also, please share this invitation with your colleagues so we can get the widest possible distribution.