Deadline for applications is March 26, 2015.
Staff Scientist for the Planetarium and Space Place
Share your passion for science through exhibits, shows, and programs!
As the Staff Scientist in the Planetarium and Space Place at Science North, you will have a unique opportunity to engage and inspire people of all ages with the science and beauty of our universe. In the Planetarium you will develop and present live shows and programs using the Digistar-5 full dome digital theatre system. In Space Place you will use your science communication skills to develop new science exhibits and programs. Your enthusiasm and leadership will inspire and develop your team of staff and volunteers. Your passion for science will engage school children, teens, and adults with interactive science experiences.
This is a unique career opportunity to share your knowledge and to ignite a passion for science in others. No day is ever the same in this diverse and fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate will:
• have a degree in astronomy, astrophysics, physics, or a related applied science;
• have strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills and an ability to multi-task;
• be fluent in both spoken and written English and spoken French;
• be comfortable engaging the public in person, through social media, and through traditional media; and
• work full-time hours with evening and weekend work on a rotational basis.
• Initiate, develop, and implement new exhibits, programs, and shows
• Lead a team of staff and volunteers who interpret science and engage visitors in programs and activities
• Manage exhibit and program budgets
• Identify emerging trends in astronomy and physics, changes in curriculum, innovative ideas and new discoveries for inclusion in programming
• Lead Science North star parties and other special events.
This is a long-term position supported by an excellent compensation package:
• Starting at $42,600
• Annual performance and merit increase consideration
• Participation in the Science North Employee Incentive Plan
• Comprehensive group benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life/travel insurance, short and long term disability coverage
• Pension plan following one year or opportunity for continued participation in Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan
• Professional development opportunities
• Free or discounted admission to partner attractions outside Sudbury, Science North facilities and program discounts, fitness membership contribution
• Minimum 3 weeks vacation with incremental entitlements of one week after 8 and 15 yrs of service
Interested applicants are asked to apply on line at sciencenorth.ca/employment quoting Job Number 1-015. Deadline for applications is March 26, 2015. Science North is committed to an inclusive workplace and invites applications from all qualified individuals to join our diverse team. We thank all interested candidates; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Science North is a registered charity.
Science North is an agency of the Government of Ontario.